Spring is around the corner and with it comes a time to celebrate South Africa’s rich heritage. This year, we thought we would go beyond a braai in your backyard and take you on a tour of South Africa’s major heritage sites.
Don’t you just wish you could travel back in time sometimes? Well, we may not have a time machine but we have proper coaches to take you to any one of these destiations whenever you wish!
We’ve discovered some interesting facts about these heritage sites. Have a look and let us know what your favourite thing is about these sites.
- The Cape Floral Kingdom is home to nearly 20% of the floral species on the African continent and 10% of all the species on the planet.
- Nearly 70% of the species of vegetation found in the Cape Floral Region cannot be found anywhere else in the world.
- The iSimangaliso Wetland Park is a habitat for over 6 500 animal and plant species. About 148 of these species are registered as threatened.
- Experts have discovered evidence of domestication of fire from over 1.8 million years ago in the Sterkfontein caves.
- Dating back over 2 000 million years, the Vredefort Dome, represents the oldest meteorite impact site in the world.
- The largest collection of cave paintings and rock art in the sub-Saharan region can be found in the uKhahlamba Drakensberg Park.
- The San people lived in the uKhahlamba Drakensberg Park over 4 000 years ago and the paintings give us an insight into their life.
- Mapungubwe was once the site of the first kingdom in Southern Africa between 900 and 1300AD. The site still shows evidence of the powerful trade that once took place between the African subcontinent and the East.
- The Richtersveld Cultural and Botanical Landscape is still home to the nomadic Nama people.
- Former political prisoners give tours of Robben Island today to give visitors a personalised insight into the history of the island.
- Robben Island poses as a habitat to the world’s second largest colony of African penguins.
- The African penguins also share a home with hundreds, even thousands, of rabbits that live on the island.
Ready to travel back in time? Let Mega Coach take you and your friends to any one of these majestic heritage sites. With a fleet in excess of 80 expertly driven and well maintained vehicles, Mega Coach guarantees comfort and satisfaction. Contact us to book your coach.